Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Visit to GlaxoSmithKline

Today's experience was exceptional, totally different from the previous companies we went. The field which GSK focuses on is Chemical Engineering, which is something rather rare in Singapore. When I first read up on GSK, I wasn't particularly interested, but during the trip, many surprises presented themselves to change my opinion. First, during the introduction, I realised that the medication I had been taking for a long time, Avamys, was actually produced from the same factory I was in. Second, during the plant tour, I was amazed at how a process can require 4 levels of machinery to entirely finish, with each level serving a different purpose. Yet, there were only 2 handlers at the plant and the end product was shockingly expensive. Lastly, the talk on carbon footprint was inspiring and signified a huge step the company was taking in to conserve the environment. If other big MNCs are bold enough to undertake this almost impossible challenge set by GSK, the environmental impact caused by factories will be reduced ridiculously. Therefore, from this trip, I conclude that GSK is not only a world leader in the medicine industry, but a leader in many aspects of the world.

For the technical concepts involved in the industry, they are pretty much related to our syllabus - forming of mixtures, bonding, reactions etc. As a result, the terms used are all familiar and there wasn't any catching up I had to do. Overall, the understand of these terminology made the experience more fruitful than any other.

No comments:

Post a Comment